Friday, January 28, 2011
Marriage
When you "sign up" for this marriage stuff, all glittering in a white dress, I don't know if you can ever totally understand what you're entering into. Don't get me wrong, I highly recommend marriage. . . but at times as a couple you find yourselves helpless. Like yesterday evening. . .
The day started for me with sterling intentions. I tried to save some parking moolah by bumming rides to UNL campus, but when I was dropped off last night, keyless--locked out of my own home in the cold, I knew I had to call Ralph. He was 20 minutes away, warming up for his basketball game, and I had volleyball pretty soon. . . as we sat on the phone in silence, both knowing the only answer, I wished I could undo it somehow. As his new tires screeched into our driveway, I could tell he was annoyed. . . actually that's putting it lightly.
After getting my volleyball gear, and both of us going to our respective sports games, I was preparing myself for a second round of wrath, but instead he came home smiling--like he does--excited for me to see part of my Valentine's present early. I've always wanted my 8-bit Nintendo back (he hates it when I call it 8-bit), but I never realized he was listening and seeing me so clearly.
Marriage isn't what I expected, but I love it more all the time.
Labels:
Love
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Evi!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE your blog! You are inspiring me to maybe try one of my own. Congrats on the Valentine's Day present and on this awesome writing venture. You are so busy and yet you have time for be creative and thoughtful and to share little bits of your life with a wider audience. That takes courage! I like how the title comes from that beautiful first poem post. Wow. Just wow. I can't wait to read more!
Very interesting. I didn't know you ever had an 8-bit. I loved mine. It was one of many cherished childhood Christmas gifts. Funny thing happened, though, I lent it to one of my family members, she then lent it to her boyfriend, broke up with him & then was too chicken scrit to ask for it back. I still miss my 8-bit. Glad to know you had one though. How did you lose yours?
ReplyDeleteAs a recently married person, all I can do is smile. :)
ReplyDelete